Thursday 5 March 2020

Interview with Dejha

Love Music: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your background, education, music passion etc. ??

I grew up in a house full of music. Both of my parents are Jazz musicians. Although I am mostly self-taught, I studied vocal Jazz at Cornish College of the Arts for a few semesters. I grew up listening to a lot of Rock n Roll, New Wave, Soul, R&B and Punk Rock. I started playing in bands when I was 15, my first band being a Ska band called Monkey Business.


Love Music: Your hidden talents?

I'm not sure about this one...and if I tell you, they will no longer be hidden :)


Love Music: Can you please let us know more about your latest album. The Union Gospel?

The Union Gospel is an album of timeless music that was born from my songwriting collaboration with guitarist Mike Squires. We have songwriting chemistry that fostered a lot of really great music. Currently, the material on the album is a substantial part of my live repertoire. The idea is to utilize, this material that I am very proud of as a vessel for my career.


Love Music: What has been one of the most exciting achievements of your career so far?

I would say touring Europe. I did so with my old band Rotten Apples and it was the time of my life. I hope to get back that way as soon as possible!


Love Music: What’s your goal in life you want to achieve next?

I think more about a lot of little victories as opposed to one major goal. The imminent little victory on the horizon is to record/produce another full-length album this summer and get my ass back to Europe as well as touring nationally to support the record.


Love Music: What motivates you to do your best work as songwriter?

Other songwriters. Discovering and rediscovering that sweet spot where the music flows through you like breath. That feeling of true connection and presence. Being able to share that is an epic gift and i take that very seriously.


Love Music: Did you choose this industry, as a career, or as a hobby?

Music chose me. It was a natural progression that led to this career as I have always been passionate about creating and performing.


Love Music: Everyone in life goes through adversity of some sort. Is there anything in your life that has any influence on the kind of songs you write? What is the most difficult thing you've had to endure on your path to becoming a musician?

Learning to truly love and trust myself the same way I love others. But that is just a human experience. I'm not sure how much it has to do with becoming a musician other than that I happen to be a musician.


Love Music: Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time?

I practice and teach Yoga which I love. I am a big movie fan and I love to cook for friends and family.


Love Music: How can people find you and follow you online?

At my website dejha.nyc , IG @dejha_official, Bandsintown and on Facebook facebook.com/dejhamusic




1 comment: