Friday 17 January 2020

An interview with K Buzz an Afrobeat Fusion artist & Poet

An interview with K Buzz an Afrobeat Fusion artist and poet of Nigerian heritage born in London. A rising star in the afrobeat scene, speaking on his hit single with Zlatan Ibile produced by Blublood, explaining how the viral Shaku Shaku and Zanku dance inspired him to write Hennyting Goes. He also touches on his influence from Fela Kuti the original King of Afrobeat. A great insight from K Buzz.

Love Music: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your background, education, music passion etc. ??

Hey I’m K Buzz and Afrobeat’s Fusion artist and poet of Nigerian heritage born in North London in 1987. He has been perfecting his musical talents since early childhood by following the paths of his musical influences by joining his church’s choir throughout his youth. After high school, he earned a Bachelor of Engineering from Kingston University. Throughout his education, he maintained his strong passion for music and his singing voice strengthen as he practiced. K Buzz, now living in Essex, has become a prolific poet and musician. He is known for creating poems and music with meaning, focusing on expressing values such as family, love, and integrity throughout his art. K Buzz focuses on building relationships with his listeners and other artists, thus creating a community that people can be a part of.


Love Music: Can you please tell us more about your first EP, Power Of Love,?

This is my first body or works, this was released in 2008 and was released under my former name Kristi B when I was still doing gospel music. This Ep spreads the word on love the good message to love one another in love as Christ did.


Love Music: Nice, Are you working on any new project?

Soon to release my EP in the next few months, expect some collaborations from some artists I respect in the music industry and more shows and tours around the Globe. Currently ive only released 2 songs but my catalogue is peaking 20 songs, I have much to offer and im always working hard to create new music. Ill also be working on a lot of visuals for my songs from music videos to animated music videos.


Love Music: Tell us about your new music (Song/EP/Mixtape/Album)? And what’s the story behind it?

Gbedu - A pure afrobeat's production led by the Nigerian Gbedu drum. It was inspired by the original King of Afrobeat Fela Kuti. After listening to. The sounds of Fela I wanted to bring a sound indigenous to Afrobeat which was deeply rooted in my culture.


Love Music: What inspired you to pursue music?

I’ve always been into music from an early age from the church choir to listening to Nas, Tupac and Biggie through my old cassette player lol

But my major inspirations are those I listened to form an early age, Michael Jackson, Fela Kuti, Jay Z, 2pac, Biggie and Nas


Love Music: What type of recording process do you use and who produced your recording?

Music for me starts off as a blank canvas, and what’s drawn next is dependent on the feeling the chemistry that I feel with the sounds I’m working with. 9 times out of 10 if the beat has me from the get go ill instantly start to vibe and have some type of ideas, melodies which for me is the clearest indication that I’m feeling the sounds. It’s a matter of feel for me, and I have to go through and figure out what that is, because if it doesn’t make the hair on my arms stand up, 9 times out of 10 I can’t do it.


Love Music: Great, What has been one of the most exciting achievements of your career so far?

I am very proud that once my released songs were uploaded onto the Audiomack streaming platform they began to trend, I then started to get loads of positive comments, my songs were playlisted and I got many follows. This was an achievement in my eyes.
Another moment for me was when a fan had messaged me to tell me how my song had got them through a rough time a moment they couldn’t see themselves out of. For me this is what I live for and made me feel happy deep inside that my music had travelled far to touch lives. There is no better testament than this.


Love Music: Did you choose this industry, as a career, or as a hobby?

Currently I’d say its more than a hobby steady turning into a career due to the amount of time, effort and money put into it.


Love Music: Your favorite music Artist?

Michael Jackson


Love Music: What’s your goal in life you want to achieve next as an artist?

My long term career goals would be to do music full time, so once I start making money in music that surpasses the money I make from my day job I know then I'm ready to leave my job and take on the music fully.
Also in the next 5 years I would like to have written 10 top afrobeat’s songs.


Love Music: Awesome, Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time?

I love watching tv shows and movies, and to relax listening to music.
Playing video games occasionally but I do love my paintballing and go karting.


Love Music: How can people find you and follow you online?

On my Social Media:

Instagram: instagram.com/KBuzz_Official
Twitter: twitter.com/KBuzz_Official
Facebook: facebook.com/KBuzzOfficial


Love Music: What are some of your greatest challenges, and what is your greatest attribute when it comes to your work ethic?

Staying motivated - Its definitely a great challenge as I feel there is always more work than can be done and always room for improvement. Also having enough time, energy and drive to continue to be creative is something that I sometimes struggle with but I always allow myself for breaks and sleep which I set aside from the hard work with music. The same for answering emails, booking tours, scheduling, and promoting

Not getting discouraged - The most discouraging part of being an artist is that the art can be quiet subjective at times. You could write a great song, but there would still be a percentage of people who wouldn't like it. It's so funny because they may not even have a reason for not liking it. No matter how thick my skin may be, rejection isn’t always an easy pill to swallow.

My greatest attribute to my work ethic are as follows;

Hard Work

They say that hard work is the first stepping stone to success. The musicians must work hard to educate themselves about music making and enjoy music. Going into music must not be considered as an escape from work from day jobs. Instead, it must be the only work. It's not so easy to compose music. It is more life becoming an entrepreneur, where one has to create his/her product, and then promote it to the people so that they get it.

Practice

Practice makes a man perfect. Successful musicians practice a lot, day and night. When one is into music totally, he/she cannot afford to stagnate because that would eventually culminate his/her musical career. The success of a musician lies in his daily practice. Successful musicians make practicing a vital thing like breathing and eating. Passion for music is not enough to achieve a career in music, practicing every day is what helps one to grow and improvise in music. By practicing daily, a musician rises above others.

Patience And Not Giving Up

One of the most important qualities for me is to have a lot of patience. I cannot see myself being successful overnight, and especially in an art like music. To skill in music takes time, and for that one needs to be patient. Every musician who is topping the charts today hasn't become successful in a day. They have been practicing and honing their talents for years and years and are still learning. The sign of a real musician is that they learn and improve themselves daily, bit by bit. They know that it is going to take years for them to become able to compete with the flood of musicians out there in the world hungry for success. The most important thing is that giving up early might lead to an end of the career. So, instead of waiting for a 'big break,' one must be persistent about it.


Love Music: Are you the best at what you do in your opinion?

I believe in life there are people who are great at what they do and others who are good, but if the one who is great thinks they have it all and doesn't practice the one who practices regularly and daily will soon become better. And as we all know how the saying goes practice makes perfect. I truly believe I am getting into my comfort zone and groove of my music and I'm literally just getting better and better as fine wine. In the last 12 months, the progression can be seen.













#LogosNigeria, #Afrobeats, #Shaku, #Zanku, #KBuzz, #KBuzzMusic, #KBuzzGbedu, #KBHennytingGoes, #ImBuzzingKB, #Gbedu, #HennytingGoes, #London, #Zlatanibile #Dance,

0 comments:

Post a Comment