Thursday 22 November 2018

Interview with Slim Reaper aka Freestyle Junkie

Love Music : Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from and where are you now? 

I go by the name “Slim Reaper”. I’m a lyrical rapper and storyteller. I was born in Denver, raised in Israel and I’m currently based in New York. I’m formally trained writer and before I started rapping, I worked on two novels that I’m still trying to get published. 


Love Music : What made you realize that music was your path?

Like I said, I started with more traditional writing but slowly began gravitating towards hip-hop. I’ve always loved the art form and I’d written various raps and poems while growing up. At a certain point music became more tangible than prose. Above all, I want to get my message out and music is just the most accessible avenue. 


Love Music : Please tell our readers about your debut EP "RiP to the PEACEFUL (me)" ?

“RiP to the PEACEFUL (me)” is a concept EP. I actually interpret the idea of being “peaceful” as negative. Peacefulness is complacency and accepting bad habits. The EP follows the transition from passive to active, while telling relatable stories. It bumps, but keeps you thinking. 


Love Music : What makes your verses unique?

My verses are rhyme heavy and lyrical, but also down to earth. When you first listen, you catch the general idea, but each new play will uncover another layer. As a rapper I’m always trying to strike a balance between deeper meaning and relatability. 


Love Music : Who are your musical inspirations?

I love old school hip-hop. Nas, Biggie, Slick Rick, Gang Starr and Black Star are some of my favorites. My current favorites are Earl Sweatshirt, Joey Bada$$, J. Cole, Danny Brown and Kendrick. MF Doom and Eminem are huge influences as well, I guess they’re an in between kind of era. Two rappers that I actually really admire are Kevin Gates and YBN Cordae. That one is always a surprise to people. 


Love Music : What are your future plans ? Your vision for the coming years. 

I’ve already started work on my next project, “Look for Me”. It has a little bit of a different sound, in terms of being more dissonant with dream-like production. It also is going to feature a few other rappers and singers, as opposed to “RiP to the PEACEFUL (me)”, which is just me. Other than that, just performing as much as possible and forming alliances with other rappers. 


Love Music : If you could perform anywhere, in the world, where would it have to be?

Red Rocks in Colorado. For anyone who has ever seen a show at this venue, it’s an easy choice. A beautiful outdoor amphitheater, incredible natural acoustics, my home state. Sign me up. 


Love Music : Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time?

I know this is a lame answer, but music is my free time. Between the stress of life, and day jobs that I have to work for now, music is my outlet. The great thing about hip-hop is that there is always something to practice: freestyling, lyrics, flow or performance. I kind of alternate between those aspects based on what I’m in the mood for. 


Love Music : Where can fans follow you?

I’m not the most active across all platforms, but for now instagram (@reaper_madness) is the best. I update my page fairly often and I’m responsive on there. You can find my music on any streaming platform that you might use. Youtube and SoundCloud included. 


Love Music : Anything else you want us to know? 

Just this. Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully you’ll listen and enjoy my stuff. If you do, feel free to follow and get updates for my next project!

https://fanlink.to/riptothepeacefulme








0 comments:

Post a Comment