Thursday 8 October 2020

Colton Claye talks about his upcoming album- "Eponymous Debut", in candid interview


Love Music: Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your background, education, music passion etc. ?? 

From the outset, I tarnished my Honor Roll student status in elementary school by having my conduct reports consistently recommend that I stop singing in class. But I didn't listen to those critics and poor reviews and I carried on singing anyway. Though I still have not determined whether my never ending compulsion to transform my inner and outer world experiences into artistic expression is a healthy way of avoiding disorder or if it is a disorder in itself.


Love Music: We been hearing a lot about you and your upcoming song, so we notice your starting to gain a lot of attention how does it feel?

Well, that is wonderful word has gotten out. Wait, what have you been hearing? Who are you hearing it from? I bet they are saying terrible things about me. No one could love me, I'm not worth being loved. But I'll show them, I'll get real buff like that guy who played Urkel did. They won't be laughing at me then. Oh, that's too much work, I'll just emotional eat my way through a Lifetime movie marathon.


Love Music: Can you please tell our readers more about your upcoming album- "Eponymous Debut"?

Not sure if he was the first to say it, but I heard director Lloyd Kaufman say "You don't make the film you want to make, you make the film you can afford to make." The pandemic has stirred a burst of creativity in me but it has gotten in the way of playing with others. Combine that with a low budget and I turned to things I recorded over the years, mostly at home in Las Vegas, a few audio loops,etc. Add a dash of advancing age, a pinch of hope as a moral baseline in historical times and you have "Eponymous Debut."


Love Music: Anything specific you want to share about this album?

It is stark naked in nearly every way; Words, composition, recording. And I'm actually very satisfied with that even though I never would have intentionally put something together this way. I find it conveys this time for me rather well. And I'm reminded how Kris Kristofferson has said he doesn't worry about creating performances, he just makes songs.


Love Music: What else have you got coming up ?

I've spent the last several weeks on spoken word, now I'll give music more focus. I've got more songs to record and I'm hoping I can work on stuff with my friend Jack again soon, I just like the sound we make together. I can see some online shows as well. And outside of music, been tossing around ideas for an animal rights podcast with another friend, Brandon, that should be launching soon.


Love Music: Who is your favorite singer?

Bob Dylan. I guess you either love his voice or hate it. He can express the full range from human potential to human vulnerability in one syllable, I'm too scared to let myself go anywhere near that far but most of us are and that's why he's BOB DYLAN.


Love Music: What motivates you to do your best work?

A desire to understand something deeper for myself and somehow share that experience with others without losing anything in translation.


Love Music: Did you choose this industry, as a career, or as a hobby?

Like most, it chose me and I have no say over what it does with me. I just surrender to it even while I punch in at a day job.


Love Music: Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time?

This is free time. (Laughs)


Love Music: How can people find you and follow you online?

I'm loitering on most platforms, but most often at

https://www.facebook.com/Colton-Claye-108039894342507











0 comments:

Post a Comment