Tuesday 5 October 2021

Interview with Apricity


How did you come by your Artist name?

It is from the Latin word meaning Basking in the warmth of the sun. It suited the Canadian climate especially thinking about the winter.


Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?

Kate Bush, female vocalists such as Garbage’s Shirley Mason, Alanis Morrissette, and Blondie’s Debbie Harry, Amy Lee I love! I enjoy their passionate storytelling performances.


When and why did you start singing?

I grew up listening to music. It was always playing, more so than TV. I enjoy it and if I can be part of it, I wanted to. It’s an appreciation. I used to run around with a hairbrush as a microphone infront of the mirror. From then I went on to singing in public, shows and a few TV shows as a child. I auditioned for Top Of The Pops and was told I was too young !


What makes this kind of music “good” to you?

What can I say I am a fan of the 90’s rock alternative and of course listening to the flashback 80’s songs. Definitely where I pull an influence from.


Let’s Talk about your music and your last work… 

My last and first work!

This is my debut single (All My lies) Followed up by the second release (TheFear) from my upcoming EP that will be coming out in The single is dark , hitting on points about others having expectations they feel you need to live up to. You choose your own path and not what someone else wants from you. Be true to yourself.


How do you feel about the internet in the music business?

Great questions. I am sure everyone has a different view point and feeling. It is the future I believe, which has it’s good points and bad. Social media in this day and age, is a huge part of everything in life. It is a great marketing tool and a way to reach people all over the world. You can make connections quickly. It is a great way to reach out to your fans, especially during this year with the Pandemic. Online concerts, virtual meetings…huge part of this year. Social Media platforms have given musicians more control over the distribution of their music I do believe. Whether this is going to become the way the industry is going…time will tell. I believe we have to be adaptable to be successful.


What are the plans for the future?

I see myself continuing along this path. I am hoping I will be able to successfully tour, depending on the world situation. What matters is to be happy in what you are doing and to continue to grow and learn I have a willingness and commitment to improve myself.


Could you briefly describe the music-making process?

It is dependent upon the song and needs of that song. Currently I am very lucky with amazing song writers and a top notch Producer and team, Thomas (my producer) has pushed me to strive for a consistent level of excellence. He was tough but in the nicest of ways. He was constantly pushing me to be better, and honestly, that’s exactly what I wanted to get out of this experience.


Would you rather be on a major label or would you rather stay independent?

I want to make success on my own terms when I make realistic achievable plans and use my determination to follow through. Whether I stay independent or team up with a label, there are so many deciding facts around both. What’s right for me might not be for someone else. A lot of thought will go into a decision made.


What is the last artist/band you listened to this week?

Just finished listening to FairGround Attraction.


What are some of your greatest challenges, and what is your greatest attribute when it comes to your work ethic?

This year has been most difficult, not just on myself but everyone due to the pandemic. I have never experienced anything like this. This year has been challenging for everyone. I’m working to finish recording my debut EP and

I am just trying to stay focused and hope that we can get back to being some kind of normal? Through this last year and a half I have met so many talented people I have been able to work with. It’s uplifting. It has kept me going.


Is there anyone you’d like to thank, any shout outs?

I have been so lucky to work with an amazing group of people. Exeter Sound Studio- producer Thomas McKay. Vic FLORENCIA, who is such a top-notch Engineer… Phil from Lacquer Channel Mastering and Ms Rique Franks

The Dropoutentertainment Team and Director Jesse Read. To bring this vision together on video. Not to mention a bunch of talented actors, local dancers for the video shoots, and friends- Mel Busst , Charmaine Carr !



0 comments:

Post a Comment