Saturday 11 March 2017

Interview with DH - Dan Hanecak

Love Music recently interviewed a talented rapper DH - Dan Hanecak, who is also a San Diego-based attorney from Lancaster, PA

Check out the interview :



Love Music : Tell us a little bit about yourself. your background, education, your music etc. ??
 

I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania. My dad was a professional musician, so music was a big part of my childhood. I took piano and guitar lessons growing up, but started writing raps around 14 pretty much through college. I went to law school with the idea that I would start my own business and when I felt right about pursuing entertainment, I would just “know.” Writing was really a hobby for me until a few years ago when one of my best friends not only got me back into rapping, but helped motivate me to take the next step. Once I got in the studio and began to feel comfortable, there was just no turning back for me.

 

Love Music : What is the secret behind your success ?
 

I think that people find my music fun and relatable, but there’s also a deeper creative element in my lyrics for those that want to look for it. The climate right now is so divisive and polarizing that I think sometimes people just want to tune it out and have a good time. But I also like to be who I am—it’s not a persona. I strive to be the same person on my tracks as I am in everyday life and I think that’s something people appreciate.

 

Love Music : Are you working on any new project in this year ?
 

Right now our main focus is promoting my first single, Tiger (Do the Putt Putt), and the release of Risky Business in April 2017, my first EP. I’m still writing and releasing new remixes and songs during this time, but our focus is the EP. The goal is to begin my first full length studio album sometime later this year.

 

Love Music : Please tell us more about your golf-themed rap song , Tiger (Do the Putt Putt) ?
 

One of the first things that people think about when it comes to golf is Tiger Woods. Our goal in writing the song was to come up with something fun and catchy, but also have a dance that was east to do and get the crowd involved. We named it Tiger as an homage to him because he completely changed the face of the game. People became fans of golf that had never followed professional golf closely. There are also a lot of references to golf in pop culture in there ranging from Happy Gilmore to Caddyshack. We had no idea the song would turn out the way it did when we wrote it, but as soon as we heard it we knew we were on to something.


 

 


Love Music : Why you choose this profession ? because you're also a successful lawyer of San Diego.
 

I’ve always wanted to pursue a career in entertainment. I put it on hold to enter law school, and as backwards as it sounds, I went to law school to have that be my fall back plan down the road. I didn’t like the prospect of living paycheck to paycheck and starting my career later, so I went to school with the plan to start my own business, and when the time felt right, I’d pursue entertainment. I was always writing lyrics and sending them to my friends and so a couple of years ago it just felt right to step into a booth and see what I could actually do instead of just saying “oh I could do that.”

 

Love Music : Who are your musical inspirations ?
 

I love funk music, so when it comes to beats, I’d have to say Earth, Wind and Fire, Roger and Zapp, and Dr. Dre, anything that the old school west coast sampled. Those are the beats I’m always looking for. On the lyrical side, guys that have complicated rhymes but also those who can interject humor and tell a story. In no order I’d say Big L, Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, Slaughterhouse (especially Royce 5’9” and Joell Ortiz), Ludacris, Rakim, and definitely some Lloyd Banks and Fabolous for their ability to create witty punch lines.  

 

Love Music : What motivates you to do your best work as a musician ? 

People visibly enjoying my work is at the top. It sounds obvious as an artist, but the feeling I get from seeing my work move people or get them excited about my projects motivates me more. On the flip side, whether it’s music or anywhere in my life, I’ve always enjoyed proving people wrong. And that’s not just being able to rap well, but doing so as an attorney. Our country focuses so much on putting us in boxes based on our occupation. There is no rulebook saying we can’t pursue our passion or dreams just because it doesn’t intertwine with our daily job. That in and of itself has probably become one of my greater motivations.      

 

Love Music : What’s your advice to an aspiring musician / rapper ?
 

What I was told is that you need to sound like someone who’s out there, but not sound like anyone at the same time. Which really equates to finding your own niche or making your own lane. That requires persistence, but also an ability to ask yourself hard questions and listen to constructive criticism and adjust. Ultimately, stick to who you are at the core, but don’t be afraid to try something new to find your niche or your lane.

 

Love Music : Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time ?
 

Work out, play sports (baseball, football, golf, basketball), yoga, watch sports, beat my friends in fantasy football, naps, traveling, reading books, keeping up with the news, and hanging out with my cats Royce and Avatar.

 

Love Music : How can people find you and follow you online?
 

Instagram: @dhnpc and twitter @dh_ondeck, facebook: www.facebook.com/dhnpc and my website is www.dhnpc.com.



0 comments:

Post a Comment