Friday 19 May 2017

Interview with Santino De La Tore (aka SDLT)

Love Music : Let’s talk a bit about you & your music and what is the secret behind your success?
 

Talking about me is very complicated, I am a Gemini and I am from South America. Over the years I have been transformed into a person with many experiences of life and therefore, I learned to live with ups and downs, both emotionally and financially. I am very philosophical, but at the same time very practical. I am very deep with my feelings, but at the same time, I am cold when I have to make decisions. I am an explorer, very curious and adventurous. I can give you a whole page of who I am and in the end, we will end up returning to the same question.  LOL!
My music is something that I have seen growing as well as I see my children grow with much affection and patience. I have been able to mature my style, my compositions, my taste as a producer and the efficiency to be able to achieve what is in my mind.
The secret it is simply perseverance and love. The rest comes because it has to come, as long as you seek it.

 

Love Music : What are you working on now?
 

I am currently working on 8 albums simultaneously.  It took me several years to finish them.  But I am in the last phase, that is putting my voice and they will be ready to mix and master.
Each album has its own personality and they are of different styles like Latin Jazz, Urban Reggae, Ballad, Rumba, Trip Hop Rock. I spent time in the studio investigating and having a good time! 



Love Music : Please tell us more about your latest released "Stray Love "?
 

Well, "Stray Love" is the second single from my album Sliding Roads that I just released in February of this year. It's a song that I was not going to put on the album because the demo sounded ugly and lifeless. When I wrote the lyrics and produced it with good musicians, the song became beautiful and flourished. That happens often to me with songs that are simple, but with a beautiful melody.

 

Love Music : What motivates you to do your best work as a multitask artist ?
 

I think that when you are an artist and you do not follow anyone or copy anybody, then that rebellious heart, is the impulse to keep going through any obstacle.
 

Self-motivation is something I developed when I came to the United States because I had a dream and I had to survive doing anything until I could get my way.
 

I always liked being an active person with projects to conquer and that led me to learn various aspects of music such as recording, mixing, editing, singing, arranging, composing, producing, promoting, etc. And also in the world of Video like television, I worked over 15 years in that and I learned a lot. Now I have my own company in which I make videos and I am the director and editor, blah blah blah! LOL!

 

Love Music : If you could perform anywhere, in the world, where would it have to be ?
 

That is a very interesting question because each culture and each audience within each culture are completely different.
 

When your music is known and people sing at the concert, it's easier and any place is a good place. But if no one knows your art and you introduce yourself to an unknown audience, I think any audience will be a pleasant experience to conquer, as long as the conditions are good.

I loved to sing at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. But it no longer exists :(

 

Love Music : Who are your musical inspirations ?
 

It's a long list. As a child and teenager, I really liked Heavy Metal music and I listened a lot to Iron Maiden and Metallica to mention a few.  I always liked progressive and classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, etc. Then I searched more in Latin music and I listened a lot to Buena Vista Social Club and then discovering more Latin rhythms from all over the world. It was a very pleasant musical exploration trip that until now I still enjoy it.  When I was 30, I got into Bob Marley, then over the years, I discovered the world of trip-hop like Massive Attack, Portishead, etc.  I also entered into the French House Lounge and today all that music is part of my playlist.  Lately, I've been listening a lot to Depeche Mode, Ibrahim Ferrer and a lot of Jazz. Honestly, all good music is my inspiration.


 


Love Music : At what point did you decide to become a Singer/Songwriter?
 

When I was 14, my brother gave me a guitar and the first thing I did after learning “Smoke on the Water” was to compose my own song.
 

The singing came later when I had my first band and I began to sing trying to imitate my heroes, rather I screamed like crazy but with a super feeling! LOL! From that moment, I knew that I had to study singing and find my identity.

 

Love Music : Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to be a professional musician?
 

Over the years, I have seen many types of musicians who are not necessarily artists, and artists who are not necessarily musicians.
 

I think you have to identify yourself first and then go for it, or go for it and then identify yourself. LOL!
 

In your heart is the answer and you know it! If you just want to play music or you want to share your own music with the world, but from your soul and with honesty, but not for the fame or the lifestyle.
 

It's like a lifeguard or a surfer or a fisherman, they are all at sea, but they do not have the same mission. Therefore, to answer the question, I think giving advice to someone who wants to be professional in music is complicated since it is art and that art has also made it as a business. So if you want to be a professional musician, then study business while having fun making music.

 

Love Music : Everybody needs a time out. What do you do in your free time?
 

Time is something that I find difficult to understand, I do not have free time. I use every day and hour of the week to do what I think is best for my family and for me; balance health, love and finances, to be able to live in harmony. And so, I can continue working on being a better version of myself.
 

Kickboxing and Krav Maga are the last two things I have put in my life.
 

A vacation to go somewhere can happen at any time when my wife and I decided to show the kids new things, new places and thus to have more experiences both personal and for a better family bond.

 

Love Music : Are you active on social media? What’s the best way to follow you ?
 

Mostly Facebook; there I have all my childhood friends who live in Peru, so I can chat with them and see their families, I also have many friends who make music, so I love to follow them. I tried Instagram and twitter, but I do not like them.



www.sdltmusic.com





0 comments:

Post a Comment