Sunday 3 February 2019

Interview with Rob Sky

Love Music: You’ve been making music for over 10 years now. How would you say your style has changed since your first single in 2007?

I hear some of the songs from my first album (Right Now) and I cringe. Haha. I think I was afraid to really put myself out there and be vulnerable when I first started. But now, I’ve totally put myself out there with this album, hence the title, What’s Left of Me. I’ve laid myself bare, and this is what’s left.


Love Music: I noticed there aren’t any love songs on the album? Have you had a recent breakup while you were writing these songs?

Haha. I’ve been so focused on my music, there hasn’t been any time to date. But I think love songs are boring. I feel that breakup songs are so much more interesting to write and sing. There so many more facets to breakups than to falling in love. At least that’s been my experience HAHA.


Love Music: What was it like crafting this album?

It was interesting to say the least. Some songs took WEEKS to write (like Outta My Way), and some songs just poured out of me and were done in an hour (What’s Left of Me).


Love Music: I have to say, I LOVE your cover of Betty Who’s “Ignore Me.” What made you decide to cover that?

Ah thank you so much! I loved the lyrics. That’s something everyone could relate to. Especially me at the time I heard the song. I was REALLY into this person, but they didn’t want anything serious. So I cut them off. But they wanted to stay friends. I was like no- you don’t get to do that. Leave me alone. Haha. “Strangers” is another example of why I cover a song. It’s a originally “Close As Strangers” by 5 Seconds of Summer. And the original is more of an uptempo pop rock song with a big rock guitar chorus. But I heard it and I was like “Oh my god these lyrics are heartbreaking. This would sound so tragic and beautiful with just a piano and bare bones production.


Love Music: If you had to pick ONE track off this album to listen to on repeat, which would it be?

It’s definitely Strangers. I love that melody and the piano intro.


Love Music: What’s next for you?

I’m actually headed back into the studio today! There was so many ideas we couldn’t get to for this album. We might do a deluxe edition with more tracks. Or I might pull an Ariana Grande and release another full album in 6 months! Stay tuned and follow me @therobsky to keep up to date!


Thanks so much for chatting with us Rob. Anything you’d like to add for your listeners?


Thank you so much for your support and I hope you love the album as much as I do!




0 comments:

Post a Comment