Tuesday 13 March 2018

Interview with Brice Sedgwick

Love Music : Please tell us about yourself & why you decided to work in music?

For the past 6 years I’ve been living in London, UK. What began as a sort of experiment turned into the catalyst for the next stage of my career. I started writing with a few British artists; the London music scene is extremely eclectic and invigorating. Even now, I find myself wondering how would these artists approach the music I’m writing. Growing up I had played the piano and guitar, and did a lot of stage work, and so I think creating my own music, and telling my own stories was a natural, and inevitable progression. I even find myself, still to this day, thinking about the artists that were my musical awakening, and finding that influence my work. That always brings a smile to my face.

Love Music : We’ve been hearing a lot about you.You’re starting to gain a lot of attention in the indie circles. How does that feel?

To be recognized for the creative work you do is pretty damn good. You know, it’s always great to hear people are enjoying your music and to recognize the work you do, creative or otherwise, but I always make sure not to place importance on whether my music will be popular, only that I have music I want to make. The rest is a bonus.


Love Music : What is the best and worst thing about being a songwriter?

Writing about people who you love, or moments you need to capture is one of the amazing things about being a songwriter. You can create this sonic photograph that just sits there, waiting for someone else to fold it up and put in their pocket, and look at it when they want to. It starts with your moments, your experiences, and you get to keep that, or whoever was a part of the story gets to keep that, and hold onto it; it becomes a part of your story. At the same time, someone else gets to make a photograph out of something that isn’t visible.  Now that’s pretty damn cool.

I suppose, on the flip side, is when you have a great story, or a vivid moment you want to capture in song, and you don’t know where to begin. That’s happened a few times. Writing down lines here and there, just to keep the memory alive,is important. There’s been moments from the past that I can still reach back and touch and recall in such rich detail. Venice is one of those moments.


Love Music : How would you describe your personal style? Where do you pull your inspiration from?

I get inspiration from so many different people, depending on the project or song I’m working on. From Kanye West to The Beach Boys, and Portishead to Taylor Swift. Actually, I’ve spent the past two weeks bingeing Kanye West. I go through phases. Because the days are getting shorter, and nights are becoming longer, I had been playing Yeezus over and over. Man, that is a beautifully abrasive record. With Venice, I wanted to maintain a sonic consistency, and so I threaded surf guitarand tremolo guitar throughout the record. During the sessions, my producer and I dubbed it Surf Noir, or Coastal Noir Pop.

I’ve begun writing the next record, and I’ve been listening to a lot of different music. I’m trying to stretch and bend my writing style and dress it in different colors, and frame it in a different way. That’s always exciting. It’s always thrilling to bring what I do to someone else’s world, and see what comes out on the other side.


Love Music : What are some of your earliest memories?

I remember the summertimes of my childhood the most. Hot pavements, and sticky hands from melted sunny boys. I remember driving down the coast after a summer vacation and there was this brilliant pink sunset framed by palm trees on either side of the road. I can distinctly remember the feeling that I had in that moment; happiness, excitement, contentment. I can remember it with such clarity. Joshua Kadison was playing on the radio. My brother loved Joshua Kadison. My earliest memory I can recall is opening presents on Christmas morning, and being too excited at receiving a Thomas the Tank Engine train.


Love Music : Why call the record Venice?

I called the record Venice because the song, and the emotion behind the song, is mirroredin all of the other tracks. I called it Venice because it was the perfect word to represent how I felt when assembling the record, how I feel when I think about the music, and how I still feel now when I talk about it. There’s an endlessness I discovered on Venice Beach. It reminded me of that childhood memory of driving home that summer vacation growing up, ya know? It was almost like déjà vu, but it was something much more than an anomaly of memory.


Love Music : Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to be a professional musician?

Do the work. Keep at it. Make the music because it wants to be made, and it wants to be made by you. Make the mistakes. Try again. Keep trying. Keep doing the work and do it because you love it and the fear of failure and the result of your work become inconsequential. Do it because you love it. Keep at it. You got this.


Love Music : What are your future plans? What’s your vision for the coming years? 


We’re planning on documenting the creation of the next record, so that will be interesting. I’m looking forward to branching out and experimenting with different writers, and producers, and music styles. Sit amongst my dogs and drink coffee and keep making some kick ass tunes. I have this vision of making a grand, lush, broadway-esque, string-laden epic, so, I best get started on that.

Love Music : If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it have to be?


I’d love to perform at the Rose Bowl or Hollywood Bowl. A stage on Venice Beach just before the sun starts to set with all of my favorite people in the audience would be all kinds of perfect.


Love Music : Are you active on social media? What’s the best way to follow you?

I am. I have a website that I keep up to date, but you can also follow me on Twitter, or Facebook, or Instagram and see what I’m up to most days. Come say hi, don’t be shy. It’s usually coffee and This Is Us, but sometimes it can get interesting.


Venice is now available worldwide exclusively on iTunes.







0 comments:

Post a Comment