Thursday 19 April 2018

Interview with "Excellent Musician" Eran Sabo

Love Music : Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your background, education etc. ??


I was born and raised in Israel,in a town called Kfar Saba.
I started playing Piano in 2nd grade, but then that didn’t work out and I picked up the guitar when I was 10 years old.

I really looked up to my brother (who plays classical Piano) and to his friends which played mostly rock/pop, I wanted to be like them you know? So I started dressing up like them (Converse all star. ripped jeans, long hair and etc). My elementary school friends weren’t so sure how to…digest this!

Then before High school I auditioned for a national High School near Tel-Aviv called “Thelma Yellin”. There I started playing Jazz, and started talking music very seriously. I understood that that’s what I want to do for a living.

After high school, I was recruited to the military. (Which is mandatory in Israel).
Fortunately I passed an audition by the ministry of Education which granted my an “excellent musician” status. That allowed my to start my BFA in the Israeli Conservatory of Music in connection with the New School in NYC.

After the military I moved to New York, where I’m still at!





Love Music : Letís talk a bit about your music and your status  "Excellent Musician" ?

So basically the ministry of education chooses around 5 male and 2 female musicians (those were the numbers at the time at least) in the field of Jazz and Contemporary music. If you get granted this status, you get several privileges which allow you to go abroad for performances, study, and basically keep progressing as an artist.



Love Music : Any new project do you have coming up ?

Yes! My new project “Celestial Grounds” is about to launch very soon. Stay tuned!



Love Music : What motivates you to do your best work?

I think the desire to transform my compositions into the best -feeling and sounding- production is a huge drive. I’m involved in all aspects of producing and mixing my music, and the will to put every composition “on it’s feet” is really motivating. 



Love Music : Who are your musical inspirations?

Amm there are many. To name a few:
    John Coltrane
    The Beatles
    Radiohead
    Tinariwen
    Bach
    Eviatar Banai
    Kendrick Lamar
    Miles Davis



Love Music : What are your future plans ? Your vision for the coming years.

I want to go with my new project on the road, and reach as many people as possible!
I also really love the bands that I play guitar for, and looking forward to grow with them as well.



Love Music : Please share with us your proudest moments ?

I think participating in the “Betty Carter Jazz ahead” residency program. It was an impeccable experience, I met so many inspiring musicians, and felt really proud to be part of it.



Love Music :  If you could perform anywhere, in the world, where would it have to be?

In the rain forest!



Love Music : Everybody needs time out. What do you do in your free time?

I do a lot of Yoga, and watch TV here and there. Huge Sopranos fan.



Love Music : Are you active on social media? 

Not super active, but I dig Instagram! I should probably be more active, I’m working on it.








0 comments:

Post a Comment